Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Quick Tip: Faux Chipboard

Chipboard has long been all the rage with Scrapbookers. I've shied away because it always seemed like so much work: either paint it, or trace it on to paper, cover it and then sand down all the edges.

The one thing I do like about chipboard, though, is the dimension. It's a great way to achieve depth on a page but still with a flat surface (non-bulbous, unlike a pearl or rhinestone). For the lazy, like me, there are pre-made, pre-decorated chipboard embellishments. However, I don't like to waste anything. I hate buying a package of embellishments because I like 70% of them and then I get stuck hoarding the other 30% because I can't bring myself to throw money away yet I have no desire to use them!

Somewhere along my creative travels, I picked up this tip on how to make faux chipboard. If you have a die cutter, you can just cut multiples of the same image out of cardstock and stack them! I find 4 or 5 stacks works best. Plus, you can cut the top layer from your favourite patterned paper and - PRESTO - instantly decorated faux chipboard. No fuss, no waste! The best part is, you can make them from your paper scraps!

(click to enlarge to see dimension of stacked tag)

These fairy tags were made entirely with Quickutz dies (now Lifestyles Crafts).  I used one of their tags, dragonfly wings, the Leprechaun's arms and belt buckle for the head, and a decorative photo corner for the dress.  Easy peasy!

1 comment:

  1. These are so very pretty and I love how you have photographed them on top of the stones.



Thank-you for sharing your thoughts.