Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Love is in the air... with this Wedding Shower Card!

My cousin is getting married! Later this month, she will have her wedding. Last month, she had a wedding shower. I must be showing my age because, when I saw "wedding" shower instead of "bridal" shower, I had to ask the hostess, "Does that mean men can come?" Yes, it was a couple's shower! I like that idea.

But.... then I couldn't make a girl-only card (like a wedding dress or a bouquet or something). My sister was over the other day and was trying to come up with a wedding card for our cousin. She has a very nice heart stamp (in fact, I've borrowed it before!). I showed her how to use a DVD case as a makeshift MISTI.

First, she stamped the heart in colour. Then, she cleaned it (without moving it) and inked it with versamark. Then she covered it in clear embossing powder. That's one way to get a heat embossed look without owning a bunch of embossing powder colours!

She didn't like it on her card, so I told her to leave it with me (hee hee!). My cousin's colours are hot pink and silver. So, this is what I did with my sister's discarded stamped image:

(Sorry for the cruddy picture. I took it right before I ran out the door!) The raised pattern behind the heart is a silver pearly paper. It looks very "wedding"-ish but not very silver though. I think I will use a silver metallic or a grey on the wedding card.

July is also Accucut Crafts' wedding challenge month! Upload wedding themed items created with an Accucut Craft die for a chance to win a $150 worth of Accucut Craft dies! Since I've got a wedding to go to later this month plus one in August, you can bet I'll be entering this contest!!

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Summer Travel Photo Display

It's not quite a mini album but it does hold photos! I made this hybrid album/photo display from two Tri-Shutter cards. I've made the cards by hand before. I'm not fond of Xacto knife work. So then I made a die cut template for my electronic cutter. However, I do really like manual die cuts. They are just easy to reach for. So, I bought the A2 Card Tri-Shutter die from Accucut Craft.

Accucut Craft just launched some monthly challenge themes. For June 2015, the theme is summer. When I think of summer, I think of summer vacation! So, here's my travel album!

I connected the tri-shutter cards with panels: one on each front of each card and one on the back which becomes the middle.

I also used a Little B hot air balloon die and I made an envelope for a journaling spot. This display stands on its own. This scrapbook mini album / photo display holds seven photos:
  • Three 3.5 x 5 inch photos (or 4 x 3 inch photos)
  • Four wallet photos (either the 2.5 x 3.5 inch size or the 2 x 3 inch size).
There is a bonus slot for a maximum of 2 more photos. There are 2 tiny journaling spots and 1 larger spot (unless you use the larger one for photo!).
You can watch the walkthrough of my travel photo display on my Vimeo Channel!

Monday, May 25, 2015

Makeshift Stamp Positioner

There's a fairly new kid on the block when it comes to stamping tools - the MISTI. What I like most about it is its ability to act as a stamp positioner for overstamping and for stamping on already cut out die cuts. It does more than that, but those are the two things I really liked.  I thought to myself, it's just a shallow tray with a lid. Surely I must have something like that at hand!

Voila! A Stampin' Up! cling mount stamp case! It's shallow and clear. So, I tried it and I'm sharing the results with you on my paper crafting video channel. I think Stampin' Up! sells these cases separately too. I'm expecting a catalogue in the mail, so I'll see! Alternatively, I believe they are similar in size to DVD cases.

Mind you, this case is a lot smaller than the MISTI, so your project size is limited. It will hold a 5x7 card though, and that's plenty enough for me.

Here's the card I made with it. I used the stamp case to get the greeting inside the frame.

This gate fold holiday card is destined for a retirement home this holiday season. I used my Copic hand airbrush tool to spatter the sky: light all over and slightly darker near the hills. I had already done this centre piece but it would have been WAY easier to get the trees straight if I had used my new makeshift stamp positioner!

The MISTI doesn't work with wood mounted stamps. If you really want to use it for them, you will have to convert your wood mounted stamps to cling stamps by unmounting them and them putting them on EZ Mount.

Check out how well it worked for me in my Makeshift Stamp Positioner video on my Vimeo channel. (I apologize for the choppy parts of the video. I had to really cut it down to get the file size to fit my upload limit!)

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Dinosaur Birthday Card

One nephew shares a birth month with my dad and one shares a birthday day-of-the-month with him. It was my nephew's 5th birthday this past week and my dad's 65th. I made a card for both of them, but today I am sharing my nephew's.

I used Freshly Made Sketches sketch #185. I kept the colour scheme bright and simple. The balloon is a shape that came with my Brother Scan'N'Cut. I cut it as small as possible and then had to shave it down by hand. I cut the dinosaur on my Scan'N'Cut too, but that one I designed myself on the computer.

I masked off a bigger birthday wish stamp to get just the "birthday wishes". Then I spelled out "BIG" with an alphabet set I have from Close To My Heart.

I had to make this card in a hurry so I was glad to find inspiration in the sketch!